Barak: Israel unlikely to extend current settlement curbs

Defense Minister says he doesn't believe freeze will be canceled entirely, leaves option for compromise with Palestinians to continue talks.

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
September 5, 2010 17:08
Defense Minister Ehud Barak at OC Central Command.

Barak 311. (photo credit: Ariel Harmoni)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Don't show it again

JERUSALEM — A slowdown in West Bank settlement construction is unlikely to continue in its current form after it expires at the end of this month, Defense Minister Ehud Barak said Sunday.

RELATED:
Settlement council declares building freeze over
Netanyahu faces coalition threat if freeze extended

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


However, Barak said he does not believe Israel will cancel entirely the 10-month curbs. Barak appeared to be leaving room for a compromise that might allow the Palestinians to continue the fragile direct negotiations that began in Washington last week.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said he warned Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu last week that he will leave the current peace talks if Israel doesn't extend the slowdown.

Barak noted that Israel had permitted limited construction in settlements during the slowdown and he expects some construction to continue after the September 26 deadline.


Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN