(photo credit: AP [file])
Following a barrage of rocket attacks on Israel, Defense Minister Ehud Barak ordered the continued closure of crossings into the Gaza Strip on Saturday.
The Defense Ministry had decided that the crossings would be opened after a quiet weekend, but the decision was reversed following the evening assault.
The crossings have been closed since November 5.
Palestinians fired three rockets into the western Negev on Saturday evening. The IDF quickly responded by targeting a terrorist cell that was apparently in the act of launching a rocket.
All in all, three rockets were fired from the Gaza Strip towards Ashkelon and Sderot. Two landed in open areas and the third fell inside Palestinian territory. Sirens were heard in some Gaza periphery towns.
Hamas security officials said an IDF surface-to-surface missile struck waste ground in the northern Gaza town of Beit Hanoun but caused no injuries.
The military said troops fired at and hit a group of Palestinians who had already fired at least one rocket and were preparing to launch more.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>