Boy allegedly starved by mother leaves Hadassah Hospital

Rabbi close to family describes special relationship suspect has with children, hopes saga ends soon.

July 26, 2009 13:16
Boy allegedly starved by mother leaves Hadassah Hospital

Froelich 248.88. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The three-year-old boy at the center of a Jerusalem child abuse case was discharged Sunday from Hadassah-University Hospital at Ein Kerem, in keeping with a court order, officials said. The child, who doctors believe was nearly starved to death by his mother, was taken at midday to an unspecified location. The court, which slapped a gag order on his whereabouts, had stipulated that the boy, who once weighed a dangerously low 7 kilograms, could be transferred to another medical institution or to the care of relatives. The toddler, who was in and out of the hospital seven times over the last two years, has steadily gained weight since being apart from his mother, and was discharged weighing more than 10 kilograms. His mother, who is under house arrest at home and is barred from seeing him, is expected to be indicted this week. She denies any wrongdoing.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town