Couple brain dead after eating fish

Staff report improvement in man's medical condition, hope both will regain consciousness by Monday.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
May 10, 2009 12:58
Couple brain dead after eating fish

blowfish 248.88. (photo credit: Courtesy)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

There was an improvement in the medical condition of a man and woman from Kiryat Yam who were brain dead after apparently eating a poisonous fish, Israel Radio reported on Sunday evening. The man began breathing independently and staff at Haifa's Rambam Hospital reportedly expressed hope that the couple would regain consciousness by Monday. The assumption was that the fish which poisoned the couple so severely was a blowfish, but hospital officials could not be sure. On Saturday evening, the two, aged 47 and 48, called an ambulance complaining of serious stomach aches. On the way to the hospital, the wife lost consciousness, stopped breathing and went into cardiac arrest. The husband's condition also deteriorated as he arrived in the hospital. The blowfish is edible but many parts of it, especially the liver and other internal organs but also the skin, are extremely poisonous. A physician at the hospital said there was no antidote for the poison, the only treatment being an iron lung and constant monitoring. Called fugu in Japanese, it is considered a delicacy; however the blowfish is the second most poisonous vertebrate in nature.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN