starving mother 248 88 aj.
(photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimksi)
The Jerusalem District Court on Friday rejected the prosecution's demand to order a haredi woman suspected of starving her three-year-old son to serve the remainder of her house arrest away from her Mea She'arim home.
The prosecutors, who had said that the extremist Eda Haredit organization was not letting police properly carry out their investigation in the haredi neighborhood, said they may appeal the court ruling.
The child who was allegedly abused will remain in the care of relatives, where he has been since he was discharged from the hospital last week, while his mother will be allowed to stay with her other children.
Prosecutor Ma'ayan Rimon maintained that only if the woman were under arrest outside Mea She'arim could the affair be dealt with like any other criminal case.
"This case may be severe, but it's one of many severe cases going through the courts across the country," she said. "The time has come to set this case on the regular course and give it the right proportions."
Friday's court ruling comes amid threats by the Eda Haredit to resume the riots on Jerusalem should the woman's arrest terms be tightened.
Rabbi Avraham Freulich, in whose home the woman was placed when she was originally put under house arrest, said that "when the reasons for causing disturbances disappear, when the woman returns to being a mother to her children in the normal way, there is no reason to disrupt traffic in the capital," Army Radio reported.
After a possible appeal against the court ruling, prosecutors plan to submit a petition for a second psychiatric evaluation to determine whether the suspect is fit to stand trial and fully in control of her actions when she allegedly committed the abuse.