Court dismisses flotilla petitions

Beinish: "The soldiers responded in order to defend their lives."

By JPOST.COM STAFF
June 4, 2010 04:43
1 minute read.
Supreme Court President Dorit Beinisch

dorit beinisch 311 Ariel Jerozolimski. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The High Court of Justice rejected both leftist and rightist groups’ petitions regarding this week’s IDF flotilla raid on Thursday.

The hearing, which began late on Wednesday afternoon, involved six petitions. Three demanded information on the whereabouts of all or some of the passengers, all of whom had been brought to Ashdod. The other three asked the court to overrule Attorney-General Yehuda Weinstein’s decision to halt the police investigation of Monday’s events on the Turkish passenger ship, Mavi Marmara.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Court President Dorit Beinisch said she found no basis for interfering with the attorney-general’s deportation of the foreign activists taken into custody on the ships.

The court came out in support of the IDF’s actions on the Mavi Marmara, saying, “The soldiers were forced to respond in order to defend their lives. Unfortunately, the action ended, as was not to be expected, with the loss of lives. Nine people were killed and soldiers and flotilla participants were wounded.”

Earlier on Wednesday, Weinstein informed the High Court that he had accepted a recommendation from the security cabinet to allow all of the passengers to leave the country.

“I reached this decision,” he told the court, “after I took into consideration, on the one hand, the overall public interest in enforcing the law, and, on the other hand, the recommendation of the political echelon, which was based, among other things, on the decision of the security cabinet of June 1, which called for the immediate release of all the civilians who had arrived on the flotilla, and on requests from foreign countries and international organizations.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN