'Gov't working with US to ensure peace talks continue'

At cabinet meeting, Netanyahu states intention to renew talks for long-term without further interruption, quash unilateral declarations.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
October 24, 2010 12:01
2 minute read.
Netanyahu at a weekly cabinet meeting

311_netanyahu with teacher stare. (photo credit: Yossi Zamir)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu began Sunday's cabinet meeting with a statement on the government's support of the resumption of peace talks with the Palestinian Authority.

"We are holding intensive contacts with the American administration in order to restart the diplomatic process," Netanyahu told his cabinet. "Our goal is not just to resume the process, but to advance it in such a way that it cannot be halted in a few weeks or months, and will enter into approximately one year of continuous negotiations on the fundamental problems, in order to try and reach a framework agreement ahead of a peace settlement."

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Abbas: I won't resume talks until building freeze renewed
IDF draws plans to transfer security control to PA

During his speech, Netanyahu cast his desire to continue peace talks mainly in terms of Israel's national security interests and sought to quash any Palestinian thoughts of unilaterally appealing to the UN for international recognition of a new state.

"In these negotiations, we will – of course – uphold the vital interests of the State of Israel, with security first and foremost. We expect the Palestinians to honor their commitment to hold direct negotiations," said Netanyahu. "I think that any attempt to bypass them by appealing to international bodies is unrealistic and will not give any impetus to a genuine diplomatic process."

The prime minister's remarks regarding his commitment to see peace talks through came despite an announcement Thursday that he does not have plans to widen the governing coalition.

Netanyahu met with opposition leader Tzipi Livni last week, and phoned her days later, fueling rumors that the two are negotiating terms for Kadima's addition to the coalition in a move that would lessen his government's reliance on the support of right-wing parties opposed to a continuation of the settlement freeze. However, Netanyahu has reportedly denied this assertion.

According to Army Radio, Netanyahu said he called Livni because their meeting was cut short by an urgent situation. He added that he meets with Livni every three weeks, suggesting their meeting was nothing out of the ordinary.



Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN