Hit and run suspect turns himself in

26-year-old man in custody for striking and killing cyclist.

June 19, 2010 17:14
1 minute read.
Hit and run suspect turns himself in

hit and run 224. (photo credit: Channel 10)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Hours after fleeing the scene of an accident near Rosh Haayin, a 26-year-old man turned himself into police custody on Saturday after allegedly striking and killing a cyclist.

Shnir Heshin, a 43-year-old father of three from Tel Aviv, who is the son of retired High Court judge Mishel Heshin, was killed on Friday in the hit and run accident.

A Magen David Adom paramedics crew arrived on the scene of the accident between Route 444 and Route 5 and found Heshin dead.

Heshin had been cycling with a friend when he was struck by what police suspect was a speeding vehicle, which likely dragged him along the road for several meters.

Paramedics said they were unable to revive Heshin. Police launched a major manhunt for the hit and run driver, while urging the suspect to turn himself in. Police added that clues regarding the driver's identity were known to them.

On Saturday, Tal Mor, of the village of Baruch in the Jizreel Valley, walked into a police station in Haifa, accompanied by his parents and attorneys, and announced that he was the fleeing motorist.

Acting on the advice of attorneys, Mor made contact with the Rosh Haayin police station which is heading the investigation before turning himself in.

Police found during questioning that Mor had been driving without a valid license, having failed to renew it, and that he had previous traffic violations on his record.

Mor has a previous conviction for assaulting a police officer, police said, and two past drugs conviction.

Mor returned from abroad severa months ago, and attempted to renew his driving license, but was unable to do so due to unpaid fines and previous convictions. He continued to drive using a valid American license.

Mor told police that he did not notice striking a cyclist and claimed he only saw that his windshield was cracked the following morning.

 "He feels very bad and is constantly saying he deserves to be in prison. He has collapsed emotionally," Mor's attorney, Tami Olman, said.

Police said they suspect Mor had passengers in the car when the incident occured, who helped convince him to drive on.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town