IDF beefs up West Bank forces to counter terror attacks

After shooting attacks, battalions deployed to man checkpoints, patrol highways to prevent further Hamas terror during peace talks.

By
September 5, 2010 01:32
1 minute read.
A roadblock on Route 443.

checkpoint 443 311. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The IDF increased its forces in the West Bank last week following a number of shooting attacks and amid assessments that Hamas will continue to trying to perpetrate terror attacks as Israeli-Palestinian peace talks continue.

Two battalions were transferred to the West Bank last week and were deployed along the roads to man checkpoints and patrol highways in an effort to prevent additional shooting attacks.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
After shootings, West Bank police on highest alert

Last week, four Israelis were killed in a shooting attack near Kiryat Arba. Two more Israelis were wounded in an additional drive-by shooting near Ramallah.

Palestinian Authority security forces have launched an unprecedented wave of arrests throughout the West Bank, rounding up close to 300 Palestinians affiliated with Hamas, which claimed responsibility for the Wednesday’s deadly hit.

IDF assessments are that Palestinian terror factions will continue trying to carry out terror attacks over the coming months in an effort to torpedo peace talks launched in Washington last week.

A Hamas spokesman told the Al-Hayat newspaper on Saturday that the group intends to continue its attacks on settlers because they are “legitimate targets.” Azat al-Ghashek reportedly said that “Zionist settlers” made up an entire army living on occupied land, with a large cache of weapons at their disposal.



He made the comments during an interview, adding that the peace talks were nothing but a “media circus.”

On Thursday, Reuters reported that 13 Gaza militant groups have joined forces to launch a wave of attacks against Israel.

When asked if the renewed attacks would include suicide bombings, a Hamas spokesman reportedly answered: “All options are open.”

Also on Thursday, Hamas condemned the launch of direct talks, saying their goal is to “liquidate” the Palestinian cause, and accused Abbas of allowing Israel to build settlements in the West Bank and denying the Palestinian refugees’ “right of return.”

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN