IDF inquiry: 'Weapon game killed Golani soldier'

Battalion inquiry states Or Hadad hit when fellow soldier was showing others how to use gun's site.

August 19, 2009 15:14
1 minute read.
IDF inquiry: 'Weapon game killed Golani soldier'

Or Hadad 248.88. (photo credit: Channel 10)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The results of a battalion inquiry cited "a soldier playing with his weapon" as the reason for the death of Or Hadad, the 20-year-old Golani Brigade sergeant killed when a gun discharged during a training exercise on a Golan Heights base two weeks ago. According to the probe conducted by Battalion 51, in which Hadad served, "We lost a soldier for no reason." The investigation stated that a fellow soldier took his gun after a roll call and proceeded to show a comrade how to use the Tavor's optical sight. "Now I'm aiming at Or Hadad," said the soldier, before the gun accidentally went off and a bullet hit Hadad, who was in a separate tent in the base. It also emerged that the offending soldier had not disassembled and cleaned his weapon for three weeks. In the previous roll call, not all the weapons were disassembled since the squad commander had accepted a request from several of the soldiers who had not managed to clean their guns. Battalion commander Lt.-Col. Shuki Ribak described the soldier's conduct as "criminal." The Army Spokespersons Unit stressed that it was an internal battalion probe only, and that the OC Northern Command had ordered the establishment of an inquiry commission which was yet to complete its investigation.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town