'Jordanian MPs Hague lawsuit ludicrous'

Jordanian parliament's law committee head files sues PM, FM, Barak, Dichter, Vilna'i and Ashkenazi.

By
February 17, 2009 19:43
1 minute read.
'Jordanian MPs Hague lawsuit ludicrous'

jordanian parliament 248.88. (photo credit: Courtesy)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Israeli diplomatic officials on Tuesday completely dismissed plans by Jordanian parliamentarians to file a lawsuit in the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague against Israel for alleged war crimes stemming from Operation Cast Lead. "The lawsuit is legally ludicrous and laughable," Foreign Minister Spokesman Yigal Palmor said. "It doesn't hold water, they don't have any evidence. There was no investigation. It is all based on prejudice and rumors and propaganda, and on bad faith. It will go nowhere." The head of the Jordanian parliament's law committee, Mubarak Abu Yamin, reportedly went to The Hague earlier in the week to file the lawsuit. Among those named in the lawsuit were Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, Defense Minister Ehud Barak, Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni, Internal Security Minister Avi Dichter, Deputy Defense Minister Matan Vilna'i and IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi. Dichter angrily responded to the reports, telling Ynet that "there is no greater hypocrisy than a country that just 39 years ago, during Black September in 1970, murdered 10,000 of its Palestinian residents - dealing with international crimes today. Jordan will not be the one to teach Israel what combat morals are," he said. Israeli officials stressed that the lawsuit was coming from Jordanian parliamentarians, and not the Jordanian government. The officials said that the Jordanian parliament was essentially controlled by the opposition, and was fiercely nationalistic. Nevertheless, Dichter said that it was incumbent on the Jordanian government to nip the move in the bud. "We have learned that things that start with a soft voice can end with a lot of noise. The very fact that this type of thing is starting from Jordan toward The Hague is something that has to worry us as a state, not just as individuals," he said. Diplomatic officials said that although there have been numerous threats of lawsuits against Israeli politicians and IDF officers both in the Hague and elsewhere since the end of Operation Cast Lead, nothing "concrete" has yet transpired. The officials said Israel was not preparing a defense to the Jordanian parliamentarian lawsuit, because of a near-certainty that it would be thrown out of the ICC.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN