Kahane relative released on bail

Kahane family minor arre

December 31, 2009 13:45
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A relative of Kach founder Rabbi Meir Kahane was arrested Thursday in connection with the arson attack on a mosque in the village of Yasuf earlier this month. He was released to his home on bail later Thursday evening, but police were continuing to investigate whether he had anything to do with the attack. They stressed that the focus of the investigation was still the extreme Right. The suspect, whose name was not released because he is a minor, was reportedly arrested by undercover police officers while he was traveling with a family member. Several news outlets reported that he is the grandson of Kahane. Authorities suspected extreme-right wing elements attacked the mosque as a "price tag" for the decision to freeze housing starts in the settlements, and raised concern in Jerusalem that it would trigger violent responses. Kahane was an MK from 1984 until his party was declared racist and banned from the Knesset in 1988. He was assassinated in New York on November 5, 1990. In the December 11 incident in the northern West Bank village, assailants burned prayer carpets and holy books, and left behind Hebrew graffiti indicating the rampage was the work of settlers angry over the government's plan to curb settlement construction. The assailants entered the village before dawn, according to police. They burned prayer carpets and a book stand with Muslim holy texts, and left graffiti on the floor reading, 'Price tag - greetings from Effi.' 'Price tag' is a term used by settlers either to denote retaliation for government decisions which curb settlement activity or in response to Palestinian attacks. Clashes erupted between IDF troops and residents of Yasuf following the incident. Rebecca Baskin and Herb Keinon contributed to this report

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town


Cookie Settings