Kassam lands near kibbutz in w. Negev

None hurt, no damage; IDF troops arrest 2 men who infiltrated border, then tried to return to Egypt.

May 10, 2009 22:14
Kassam lands near kibbutz in w. Negev

tracers from kassam rockets 248.88. (photo credit: AP [file] )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A Kassam rocket fired by terrorists in the northern Gaza Strip hit an open area near a kibbutz between the Sdot Negev and Sha'ar Hanegev regions on Sunday night. No one was hurt in the incident and there were no reports of damage. Earlier on Sunday evening, Army Radio reported that IDF troops chased after and caught two men who had infiltrated Israel and tried to cross the border back into Egypt on all-terrain vehicles once they realized they had been discovered. After the soldiers identified the two suspects, they began the formal arrest routine, calling on the men to halt, and firing shots in their direction when the infiltrators refused to heed to the calls. One of the Egyptian men was moderately wounded during the pursuit. According to the report, the men, who were carrying large amounts of money and cellular phones, were finally detained in the Eshkol region. The wounded suspect was evacuated to Soroka Hospital in Beersheba, and the other was being interrogated by security forces.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town