Lesser sentence for activist killer

Taysir Hayeb was convicted in shooting of 22-yr-old UK protester.

July 19, 2010 16:55
1 minute read.
A pro-Palestinian protest in the West Bank [illustrative photo]

Protest. (photo credit: Associated Press)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Taysir Hayeb, a soldier who fatally shot a British peace activist, will be released from prison next month, a year and a half early, a military committee ruled on Monday.

Twenty-two year-old Tom Hurndall was shot in Rafah in April 2003 and died after nine months in a coma. The photographer was working at the time as a volunteer for the International Solidarity Movement and was documenting the group’s work in the area.

IDF rules Rachel Corrie's death was accidental
Parents of Rachel Corrie mark fifth anniversary of death

Accounts from the time of the shooting have differed, but it has been reported that Hayeb shot the unarmed Hurndall as he was trying to help Palestinian children move away from an exchange of live gunfire. Hayeb was convicted of manslaughter and several other charges, including obstruction of justice, and was sentenced to eight years imprisonment in 2005. He served three years in a military prison, after which he was transferred to begin a rehabilitation program with the Israel Prison Service. He will have served six and a half year before being released for good behavior.

Hayeb’s lawyer told the committee that his client’s rehabilitation had been a success. Hayeb said he was engaged and wanted to start a family. The committee dismissed the military prosecutor’s contention that a sentence reduction could damage relations between Israel and the UK, and said that in its view he no longer posed a threat to society.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town