Tzipi Livni 311 Ariel J.
(photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski)
Leading opposition party Kadima called once again on Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu on Saturday to make the proper decisions that will facilitate the continuing of peace talks with the Palestinians. The comments came in an official announcement released in the wake of Netanyahu's assertion that construction in settlements would continue despite Palestinian threats to leave the negotiations if building continues.
Mofaz: Kadima can join gov’t under right circumstances
Editor's Notes: Caught by a red herringKadima: We won’t save PM from Lieberman
Opposition leader Tzipi Livni said in the statement that "Netanyahu knows the possibility of making decisions that will ensure continued negotiations is in his hands and that Kadima will support any decision that facilitates the talks and strengthens Israel's security interests."
Livni added that a "blow up" of the talks would have grave consequences for Israel and that Kadima would fight the implementation of decisions that could potentially derail negotiations.
"Netanyahu must choose [to act in] the real long-term interest of Israel rather than in his own personal political interest," Livni stated.
On Friday, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon
spoke on the phone with Prime Minister Netanyahu, Palestinian President Abbas, and US Middle
East envoy Mitchell, after which he reportedly stated that he hoped Israel "expands its restraint policy in the settlements."
Also on Friday, Netanyahu told a closed meeting of his
advisers that "moderate and restrained" building in West Bank
settlements in the coming year will not affect the peace process.
JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:
Netanyahu's comments followed meetings he held on Friday with George Mitchell and European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton in which both pleaded with him to extend the moratorium
on West Bank settlement construction, as the Palestinians stuck to
their insistence that all building must stop for fledgling peace talks
"The international community needs to call on the Palestinians to remain
in the peace talks. It's in the Palestinians best interest just as it
is in our own best interest," Netanyahu told his advisers.
"My government has made a number of unilateral gestures in order to
promote the peace talks," explained the prime minister. "Unfortunately, unlike us, the Palestinians are
only toughening their stance."
Netanyahu continued, "For 17 years they have negotiated with the Israeli government while
building was underway, including in the final year of the previous
government. It was not easy for us to freeze new building in Judea and
Samaria for 10 months, but I've fulfilled all of my obligations to the
Palestinians, the American government and the international community."
"We froze construction in order to give Abu Mazen [Palestinan Authority
President Mahmoud Abbas] an opening to enter into direct negotiations
without preconditions. Now I expect the Palestinians to show some
flexibility and remain in the talks."
Abbas on Friday told Mitchell that the there will be no further peace
negotiations with Israel as long as building in settlements continues,
Israel Radio reported.
Mitchell met with Abbas in Ramallah on
Friday after having met with Netanyahu in the hopes of finding a
compromise that could save the talks which have stalled following
Israel's decision earlier this week not to extend the moratorium.
Abbas's meeting with Mitchell, a Palestinian Authority spokesman said
that no breakthrough to revive the talks had been made and that Israel's
insistence on continuing construction in the settlements is preventing
progress towards reaching a peace agreement.
Authority official Yasser Abed Rabbo added that Israel's refusal to halt
settlement building is equivalent to a refusal to continue the peace
talks which began early in September.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>