Man 'comes back to life' in Ramat Gan

Health Ministry probes case of 84-yr-old who moved his hand after being pronounced dead by doctor.

July 2, 2009 09:53
1 minute read.
Man 'comes back to life' in Ramat Gan

MDA 248.88. (photo credit: MDA [file])


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Israel Police and Magen David Adom will conduct an investigation into the unusual case of an 85-year-old man found in his Ramat Gan apartment on Wednesday, who was declared dead by medics but was actually alive. An MDA spokesperson said medics found the man lying on his stomach amid filth in his living room, with maggots and blue "death marks" on his "cold" body. They could not find a pulse or signs that he was breathing, and there was a putrid smell in the apartment. When a doctor arrived to examine him and sign a death certificate, a policeman came near to the "body" and said in shock: "The corpse is moving his hand." A mobile intensive care unit was called to perform resuscitation. The man was then rushed to Sheba Medical Center at Tel Hashomer where he was attached to a respirator and was reportedly barely conscious. Doctors at the hospital said he had a "weak pulse" but indicated his condition had improved somewhat. According to the MDA, an investigation team comprised of senior staffers - including its chief paramedic - had been set up to reach conclusions about the incident, the results of which were expected within a few days. Until recommendations regarding the case are issued, the team that examined the man and declared him dead was suspended from all medical activity. The Ministry of Welfare and Social Services commented that the man had not had any connection with the social welfare services. However, he is now being supervised by the authorities, as the Ramat Gan Municipality sent social workers to the hospital to monitor his condition.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town