Man detained for suspected kidnapping, sodomy of 8-year-old

‘Our children are scared to go out alone now,’ ex-policeman who lives in area tells ‘Post.’

September 1, 2010 05:06
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A 37-year-old man from central Israel was arrested on Monday night on suspicion of kidnapping and attempting to sodomize an eight-year-old girl from a town in the Sharon district of central Israel.

The girl was playing with a friend when the suspect pulled up in a car and offered the girls a ride to their home.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

He then allegedly abducted one of them, while her friend ran home and alerted her parents, who in turn alerted the girl’s parents.

Police believe the suspect, who was allegedly intoxicated and under the influence of drugs, drove a few kilometers to a local cemetery near Hadera, where he may have sodomized the girl in his vehicle.

The girl then managed to escape, and was spotted by a driver as she walked around the cemetery. The driver contacted police.

Officers found the girl hiding in a bush. Her small dress was found on the passenger’s seat of the suspect’s vehicle.

The suspect was later arrested.


A media gag order has been placed on details of the case.

The suspect’s custody was extended by seven days at the Hadera Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday morning.

The suspect, who is refusing to speak to police, is scheduled to undergo a psychiatric examination. He was previously suspected of carrying out an indecent act against a minor, but the case against him was closed.

An ex-police officer who lives in the same town in which the incident occurred told The Jerusalem Post, “My nine-year-old daughter is now petrified to go outside. We’re all taking about the fact that there will be a change here for a while. The kids won’t go out by themselves anymore.”

The ex-officer added that police maintained an inadequate police presence in the area.

“There are no patrols, and there is lots of crime here. Every few days there are break-ins and car thefts. On Sunday alone there were three break-ins,” he said.

Residents of the town said the man had acted suspiciously in the past. He had been placed in a psychiatric hospital in recent years.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town