Man suspected of slaying wife has remand extended

Man suspected of slaying

October 21, 2009 02:46
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A Netanya court on Tuesday extended the remand of 34-year-old Hamara Temisgin by six days, one day after he was arrested on suspicion of murdering his 35-year-old wife in their Netanya home on Monday night. Police allege Temisgin slit the throat of his wife, Dehainesh Orly Temisgin, in their apartment on Sderot Ben-Zvi before fleeing. Neighbors alerted police to the scene in the city's Dora neighborhood after hearing the woman screaming, but when police broke into the apartment, they found her dead. The husband was caught later Monday night with the help of a police helicopter. Temisgin has denied the charges against him. Police originally asked for an 11-day remand extension, arguing that they needed more time to investigate the case. Temisgin's lawyer, Avi Himi, said the 11-day remand request was too long, arguing that police never performed a physical examination of the suspect to determine whether or not he had any injuries that would indicate he was involved in a violent crime. Himi also cited the fact that no one reported seeing Temisgin flee the scene, and there was no blood on his clothes and that police did not supply an Amharic speaker to interrogate him. Police said Tuesday they believe the murder followed an argument over Dehainesh's desire to get a job. Police also suspect Hamara was drunk. The woman had never filed a complaint over domestic violence, police added, though it emerged in the remand hearing that there was a domestic violence complaint filed in 1999 which was later closed. MK Shlomo Mula (Kadima) attended the remand and asked the judge on behalf of the victim's family if her autopsy could be performed by a doctor of their choosing. The judge said the court would try to honor the request, but time constraints and burial demands may not allow it. Jerusalem Post staff contributed to this report.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town