Netanyahu urges Abbas to stay at the 'negotiating table'

Following PA statements that negotiations would be abandoned if Israeli settlement construction continues, Barak says that compromise which would ensure continued peace process can be reached within a week.

By ASSOCIATED PRESS, JPOST.COM STAFF
October 2, 2010 20:08
2 minute read.
Netanyahu Abbas

Netanyahu Abbas 311 AP. (photo credit: Associated Press)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu on Saturday evening called on Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas to remain in peace talks despite the lack of a settlement construction moratorium extension.

"The way to achieve a historic peace agreement between our two peoples is to sit around the negotiating table seriously and continuously, and not leave, because this is the place to resolve the differences between us," the prime minister said.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Livni: Netanyahu must make decisions that will save talks
Barak: 50/50 chance deal on freeze can be reached
Opinion: Coexistence partners with ourselves?


Following the release of Netanyahu's statement, the Prime Minister's Office on Saturday requested that the government's ministers refrain from giving interviews about the status of the peace negotiations.

Earlier in the evening, Defense Minister Ehud Barak urged the Palestinian leadership and all those involved in Israeli-Palestinian peace talks to take responsibility and not to allow negotiations between the sides to come to an end.

"We all must act with discretion and perseverance in order to overcome the obstacles before us and continue negotiations in order to get results," Barak said in an official statement. 

Barak added that, through intensive talks, the sides could find a compromise within a week that would ensure continued negotiations.


Both statements came following comments made earlier on Saturday, when the PLO Executive Committee attempted to persuade Palestinian  Authority President Mahmoud Abbas not to continue with direct negotiations because of Israel's refusal to continue the building freeze.

Nabil Abu Rudaineh, a Palestinian presidential spokesperson, said that the talks would not continue as long as Israel continues to build on land that is expected to one day become a Palestinian state.

Abbas met with dozens of senior Palestinians in Ramallah and sought their backing for his refusal to keep negotiating with Israel without a slowdown in West Bank settlement construction.

The Palestinian Authority president briefed the group about US envoy George Mitchell's latest unsuccessful attempts to narrow the gaps.

"President Abbas' position is clear: no negotiations under the shadow of settlement construction," Abu Rudaineh said before the meeting. However, he said contacts with the US would continue. 

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Mitchell, who spent four days this week shuttling between Abbas and Netanyahu, is now trying to enlist the help of Arab leaders, meeting with Qatari leaders on Saturday with plans to continue to Jordan on Sunday after a brief stop in Cairo.

In remarks published Friday, Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit issued surprising criticism of the Palestinian position of making talks contingent on the settlement building restrictions, saying the sides should concentrate on drawing the borders of a Palestinian state.

In the West Bank, PLO and Fatah officials have overwhelmingly spoken out against continued negotiations.

Hanan Ashrawi, a member of the PLO Executive Committee, said the international community's failure to get Israel to halt settlement expansion does not bode well for the talks, where much more explosive issues will be on the table, such as the partition of Jerusalem. Ashrawi said there's a limit to Palestinian flexibility.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN