Noam Schalit calls for Gilad's release to be part of new cease-fire

By JPOST.COM STAFF
December 23, 2008 21:21

Noam Schalit, father of captured said Tuesday night that he hopes that his son's release would be part of a new truce agreement between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip, and called on Prime Minister Ehud Olmert to act before the upcoming general elections in February. Speaking at a conference in Herzliya, Schalit said, "Regretfully, there's a big gap between public support, and the support and actions of the Israeli government." "As a result," he continued, "Gilad has been in captivity for two and a half years, and it's the third Hannuka that he's not with us, and is [instead] in despair and darkness." In the previous cease-fire with Hamas, active, which began in June and expired last week, "Hamas got what it wanted, and Gilad stayed in captivity," said Schalit. "I hope that this time that won't happen, and the decision-makers will make sure Gilad's release is part of the deal for a renewed truce."


Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN