Olmert speaks 311.
(photo credit: Associated Press)
Former prime minister Ehud Olmert took a rare public jab at his successor on Thursday, saying that Israel should agree to the US demand to halt settlement construction in the West Bank in order to restart Mideast peace talks.
RELATED:Analysis: Was Abbas ready to accept Olmert’s terms?Bush: Olmert asked me to strike Syria, but I refusedOpinion: The terms for an accord
Olmert suggested Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and the Obama administration are wasting valuable time by focusing on such a "marginal" issue, rather than tackling the essential issues at the heart of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
US President Barack Obama has asked for a new three-month moratorium on settlement construction after a 10-month slowdown expired in September, causing peace talks to stall.
Netanyahu has yet to commit to a renewal, saying he is waiting for
written US assurances. Palestinians say they won't return to
negotiations without a total freeze.
Olmert, who resigned two years ago to face corruption charges, has
largely kept a low profile since leaving office in early 2009 and has
refrained from publicly criticizing Netanyahu.
Speaking to foreign correspondents, he said he wouldn't have agreed to a
settlement freeze in the first place, saying it was more important to
focus on larger issues like final borders, the fate of Palestinian
refugees and the status of Jerusalem. But he said he would not turn down
a request from Israel's closest ally and endanger ties.
"If someone says that he agrees to 10 months of freezing and the
president of the mightiest nation on earth and friendliest nation to
Israel comes to you and says 'please give me two (more) months, only two
months,' I mean what could happen in two months?" he said. "I would say
'president, why two? Why not three? Take three!"
Olmert said both Israel and the US should instead focus on reaching a final peace deal with the Palestinians.
Since leaving office, Olmert has confirmed he made Israel's most
far-reaching offer to the Palestinians, proposing a Palestinian state on
close to 94 percent of the West Bank, and offering them the equivalent
of the final 6 percent of territory in a land "swap."
Olmert said the Palestinians never responded to his offer, made in the final months of his term in office.
"I think that they made a mistake. I think that the fact that they
didn't respond to my proposal was a historic mistake of the highest
order that they will live to regret for a long time, until someone will
come from our side with the same ideas," he said.
The Olmert plan would have also have turned over Arab neighborhoods in
east Jerusalem to Palestinian control. Jerusalem's Old City, with its
holy sites, one of the most intractable issues dividing the sides, was
to be governed jointly by Israel, the Palestinians, Jordan, Saudi Arabia
and the United States, he said.Olmert doesn't deny air strike on Syria
Olmert also said he "can't deny" former US president George W. Bush's
claim in a new book that Israel destroyed a suspected nuclear reactor in
At the time of the September 2007 incident, Syria announced that its
airspace had been invaded by Israel. The government has never commented
on what happened.
But in Bush's new memoir, the former president says both countries
believed the site to be a reactor built with North Korean help. He also
suggests that he was quietly pleased with the Israeli airstrike.
Olmert said he has seen Bush's account. While refusing to confirm it, he also said he would not deny it.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>