PM : Flotilla raid was in self defense

Netanyahu cuts Canada visit short, cancels White House meeting.

By JPOST.COM STAFF, ASSOCIATED PRESS
May 31, 2010 17:36
2 minute read.
Binyamin Netanyahu and Stephen Harper

Binyamin Netanyahu and Stephen Harper 311. (photo credit: Courtesy)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Monday that commandos who raided the Gaza-bound aid flotillas, killing nine and injuring dozens of others, were under attack and acting in self defense.

Netanyahu spoke after a meeting with Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper earlier on Monday.
RELATED:
Analysis: A race to contain the damage
Netanyahu: 'Fully support IDF operation'
'Absurd that Turkish PM cuts trip while Netanyahu goes on'
PM gets warm welcome in Toronto

Israel wanted to check the cargo to ensure it contained no weapons,

Netanyahu said.


He said this was done successfully with five ships, but the sixth did not cooperate.

Netanyahu said hundreds of people on board that ship beat, clubbed and stabbed soldiers, and there was a report of gunfire. He asserted that forced soldiers to attack.


PM cancels White House visits, calls Obama on the phone

The prime minster cut short his visit in Canada Monday and canceled a visit planned Tuesday with US President Barack Obama in Washington so that he could return home.

Netanyahu spoke with Obama over the phone, and postpone their impending meeting to a later date.

The leaders agreed that their professional teams would be in close contact regarding the latest events and developments in the region.


White House: We 'deeply regret the loss of life'

In response to Monday's raids, the White House issued a cautious reaction, saying "The United States deeply regrets the loss of life and injuries sustained, and is currently working to understand the circumstances surrounding this tragedy."


Last week White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, in the country to celebrate the bar mitzvas of his son and nephew, delivered the invitation during a meeting with the prime minister in his office in Jerusalem.


Obama “has asked me to extend an invitation to you to come visit him at the White House for a work meeting to discuss both our shared security interests as well as our close cooperation in seeking peace between Israel and its neighbors,” Emanuel told Netanyahu.

He made sure to mention his warm feelings for the country and its people during a visit, which he described as “heartfelt.”

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN