PM: Lebanon responsible for border clash

Israel tells European countries: Arms sent to Lebanon used against us.

By
August 4, 2010 01:56
2 minute read.
Binyamin Netanyahu

Bibi worried 311. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Facing the first deadly cross-border skirmish in the North since coming into office in March 2009, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu warned Tuesday that he held the Lebanese government directly responsible for the “violent provocation” that killed one officer and left another seriously wounded.

Following consultations throughout the day with senior security, intelligence and diplomatic officials, Netanyahu issued a statement saying Israel viewed the incident “very gravely,” and saw it as a blatant violation of UN Security Council Resolution 1701, which put an end to the Second Lebanon War in 2006.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
US urges maximum restraint
IDF commander killed on Lebanon border
Photo gallery: Unrest on the northern border

“I see the Lebanese government as directly responsible for this violent provocation against Israel,” he said. “Israel responded, and will respond aggressively in the future, to all efforts to disturb the quiet on the northern border and harm the citizens of the North and the soldiers protecting them.”

Netanyahu will convene the security cabinet on Wednesday to discuss both the Lebanon incident and Monday’s rocket attack from Sinai on Eilat.

Amid concern in recent weeks regarding tension in Lebanon over reports of an imminent indictment of Hizbullah by an international panel examining the assassination of former Lebanese prime minister Rafik Hariri, Israel has sent messages through third parties to both Syria and Lebanon not to allow any party to try and divert attention by provoking Israel.

Diplomatic officials said it was too early to determine whether Tuesday’s incident, which government officials said was a “deliberate ambush,” was designed to divert attention from the Hariri probe, or was merely a “localized incident.

Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman directed Israel’s envoy at the UN, Gabriela Shalev, to file a protest with the UN secretary-general and the Security Council.



In addition, Israel was talking to the countries that have representatives in the UNIFIL force in southern Lebanon, saying that it was a deliberate ambush on Israeli forces inside Israel’s sovereign territory.

Israel, according to diplomatic officials, was also telling these countries that weaponry the international community provided the Lebanese army in the hope it would be used against terrorists, was instead being used against Israel.

The IDF’s activities Tuesday in the area of the attack near Kibbutz Misgav Am – an area that Jerusalem stressed was between Israel’s border fence and the international border – had been coordinated with UNIFIL in advance. Israeli officials said there were three areas on the border where for topographical reasons, the fence could not be built on the border, only west or south of it – but all in Israeli territory.

Defense Minister Ehud Barak, meanwhile, warned Lebanon against continued provocations, and called on the Lebanese government to probe who was responsible for Tuesday’s attack. He also called upon UNIFIL to act with determination to prevent similar incidents, and called for the international community to condemn the attack.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN