PM: My gov't dealt Hamas serious blow

During visit to Acre, Olmert warns that Israel "won't show restraint" at any provocation from Hamas.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
February 3, 2009 17:02
PM: My gov't dealt Hamas serious blow

Olmert strawberry fields 248 88. (photo credit: GPO)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Prime Minister Ehud Olmert applauded the results of Operation Cast Lead in Gaza on Tuesday, despite the launching of a Grad-type rocket which hit Ashkelon earlier in the day. There were no casualties in the rocket attack, though damage was caused. "I'm happy that the security situation in the South has changed," he said during a visit to Acre on which he met with municipal leaders. "Hamas suffered a serious blow at the hands of the Israeli government under my leadership." He also promised that Israel would respond to even the smallest provocation from Hamas. "We won't be patient and we won't show restraint," he warned. The prime minister went on to defend decisions made during the Second Lebanon War in 2006, saying, "Two years ago I said there would be quiet in the North, and was ridiculed. Today, the North is prospering, and that's how it will be in the South too." The 2006 war came in response to a cross border raid in which two IDF reservists were kidnapped by Hizbullah operatives. During the 34-day war which followed, hundreds of Katyusha rockets were fired from southern Lebanon at the north of Israel.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN