Silwan shooter released to house arrest

Jewish man, 20, was arrested on suspicion of shooting 40-year-old, 16-year-old after praying at Kotel.

By ABE SELIG, JPOST.COM STAFF
September 11, 2009 20:13
Silwan shooter released to house arrest

shooting attack 248 88. (photo credit: AP [file])

A Jewish man who was arrested after shooting and wounding two Arab men at Jerusalem's Givati parking lot at the entrance to the east Jerusalem neighborhood of Silwan on Friday evening, was released to house arrest on Saturday night, following an agreement that was reached between the parties involved, police said. The man, whose identity is being withheld as part of the agreement, was released on NIS 10,000 bail after the conclusion of Shabbat and will be under house arrest for 9 days. Police arrived on the scene after receiving reports of gunfire in the area and arrested the man, who told investigators that he and a friend had been attacked by six Arabs, and was acting in self defense. According to Channel 2, the suspect had been praying nearby at the Kotel before the shooting. The casualties, a 40-year-old and a 16-year-old, were lightly to moderately wounded by the gunfire, and were evacuated to an east Jerusalem hospital. A police spokesman said that police would be out in large forces in wake of the event, and for the remainder of the month of Ramadan.


Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN