Two rockets strike South; none hurt

Apparent terror attack foiled as troops kill Gazan approaching Kibbutz Ein Hashlosha with grenade.

February 6, 2009 08:22
1 minute read.
Two rockets strike South; none hurt

Kassam in ground 224.88. (photo credit: Channel 10 )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A day after a Hamas delegation left Egypt without an agreement on a long-term Gaza truce, terrorists in the Strip fired two rockets at southern Israel. One of the rockets landed near a kibbutz in the Sha'ar Hanegev region, while the other hit an open area south of Ashkelon. No one was wounded and no damage was reported in the Friday morning attacks, which came days after Prime Minister Ehud Olmert emphasized to the cabinet that Israel would respond "disproportionately" to the continued rocket fire. On Thursday night, meanwhile, IDF troops foiled an apparent terror attack when they gunned down an armed Gazan who approached the border fence near Kibbutz Ein Hashlosha. The soldiers, from the Golani Brigade, opened fire at the Palestinian after he brandished a hand-grenade, which exploded when the man was shot. There were no casualties among the troops. The troops searched the area on the Gaza side of the fence before returning to Israel. The army said it appeared that the Palestinian intended to infiltrate the kibbutz and carry out a terror attack. IDF officials stressed that while it was an isolated incident it "demonstrates the need for a high level of alert in the Gaza area." The Gaza Division ordered forces in the Gaza periphery to be prepared for every eventuality when Palestinians approach the border fence, on the assumption that terror groups would continue to try and attack IDF soldiers. Israel unilaterally halted its counter-terror operation in Gaza on Jan. 18, and Hamas followed with an announcement that it would hold its fire. Nevertheless, Gaza terrorists have continued to fire rockets into Israel, and last week, an IDF soldier was killed in a border bombing attack. AP contributed to this report

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town