Tytell remand extended for three weeks

Tytell intended to cont

December 31, 2009 09:53
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Jerusalem District Court extended the remand of alleged "Jewish terrorist," Ya'akov "Jack" Tytell, by three weeks on Thursday. Earlier in the day, documents released to the media revealed that police and the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) knew about Tytell, for a number of years prior to his arrest. Police have alleged that Tytell was behind an unprecedented series of deadly terror shootings and bombings spanning over a decade, in which two Palestinians were killed and Israel Prize Laureate Prof. Ze'ev Sternhell, as well as 15-year-old Ami Oritz, from a messianic family in Ariel, were wounded. Tytell was at one point investigated regarding the 1997 murder of a Palestinian taxi driver but the investigation was closed without his arrest, police said. The probe into Tytell also revealed that he allegedly intended to attack leftist activists after his supposed attempt to bomb Sternhell was unsuccessful. The investigation of Tytell's alleged crimes has revealed that he is suspected of intent to continue with nationalist-motivated murders as well as attacks on politicians. According to the new details released Thursday, Tytell said he "wanted to attack an Arab and murder him in front of the cameras." He reportedly went on to say that he "wanted to cause an Arab riot and pressure the police to cancel the gay pride parade." Tytell admitted to carrying out most of the acts attributed to him but did not express remorse. He apparently acted out of love for God, the documents said. On Thursday, he will be brought before the Jerusalem District Court for a remand extension hearing. Tytell has previously refused to stand up when addressed by the Court. The state's indictment against Tytell spans 25 pages and includes two counts of premeditated murder and three counts of attempted murder involving 14 separate incidents between 1997 and 2008. Tytell's attorney told Army Radio on Thursday that the released information proves that his client also admitted to acts he did not perpetrate. "There is not enough evidence to convict him," he said. "A number of days after his arrest he began cooperating with investigators and told them much more than they believed or assumed." Tovah Lazaroff and Ben Hartman contributed to this report

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town