Australia moves to deport alleged Hungarian Nazi

Court upholds ruling against 87-year-old emigre accused of killing Jewish teen during WWII.

By AP, JPOST.COM STAFF
March 31, 2009 11:54
1 minute read.
Australia moves to deport alleged Hungarian Nazi

zentai 224.88 ap. (photo credit: AP [file])

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

An Australian judge upheld a ruling Tuesday that could pave the way for the extradition of an 87-year-old Hungarian emigre accused of killing a Jewish teenager during World War II. Federal Court Justice John Gilmour concurred with a decision issued last year by a judge who said Charles Zentai was eligible for extradition. Hungary accuses Zentai of torturing and killing Peter Balazs, 18, in a Budapest army barracks on Nov. 8, 1944, for failing to wear a star that would identify him as a Jew. Zentai says he is innocent and was not in Budapest when the slaying occurred. He is expected to appeal to the full court next week. If the court rules against him, then Home Affairs Minister Bob Debus will make the final determination on the extradition. Zentai's son, Ernie Steiner, said the family was disappointed by Gilmour's decision but had not given up hope. "While we've still got that hope, we just look to the next step," Steiner told reporters outside the court. "We place trust in the Australian system, and my father has that right. He is exercising his right to justice." Zentai is listed by the US-based Nazi-hunting Simon Wiesenthal Center among its 10 most wanted for having "participated in manhunts, persecution, and murder of Jews in Budapest in 1944." Zentai, who emigrated to Australia in 1950, has spent three years fighting extradition. The Wiesenthal Center said it welcomed Gilmour's decision. In a statement issued in Jerusalem by its chief Nazi hunter Israel director Dr. Efraim Zuroff, the center called upon the Australian judicial authorities to help achieve justice by putting an end to the repeated technical appeals launched by Zentai which are purely a diversionary tactic to prevent his trial in Hungary. "Seven months ago, Perth Magistrate Barbara Lane described Zentai's claim that the murder of Balazs was not a war crime when it was committed as 'misconceived and quite misleading,'" said Zuroff. "Justice Gilmour today affirmed that decision and ruled as well that the charge against Zentai is a war crime. It is high time that he be tried in a court of law so that justice can finally be achieved. The memory of Peter Balazs and the incredible pain of his family deserve no less."

Related Content

Joan Rivers
August 28, 2014
Joan Rivers rushed to hospital following throat surgery

By JPOST.COM STAFF