Painting looted by Nazis fetches $1.17 million

May 31, 2006 12:05


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


An Albin Egger-Lienz painting that the Nazis seized from its original owner fetched a record $1.17 million at an auction in Vienna, with the proceeds to go to heirs in California, it was reported on Wednesday. "Totentanz 1809," or "Dance of Death 1809," was auctioned off Tuesday evening at Vienna's Dorotheum. An official said that the winning bidder was an Austrian man in his 40s but did not release his name. The proceeds were set to go to Herta Fox of Los Angeles, a descendant of the Austrian Jewish family who owned the work before the Nazis confiscated it during World War II. The painting resurfaced after the war and ended up in the collection of a museum in the southwestern city of Lienz, where officials agreed to return it.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Joan Rivers
August 28, 2014
Joan Rivers rushed to hospital following throat surgery