Abdullah Azzam Brigades.
(photo credit: Abdullah Azzam Brigades)
The Abdullah Azzam Brigades, which is linked to al-Qaida and claimed
responsibility for the rocket fire at Israel last Thursday, has released a
statement saying that the attacks were part of the jihad against the
Sheikh Sirajuddin Zureiqat, a member of the group, tweeted a link
to the statement on Tuesday. The statement was dated from the day the rockets
Zureiqat also tweeted two pictures of what the group said
were some of the rockets it had fired at Nahariya and Acre.
Azzam Brigades and the Ziad al-Jarah Brigades wrote the statement, which again
claimed credit for the rocket fire and said the attacks had been aimed against
the Jews, who it said were benefiting from the Syrian revolution.
statement added that recent developments had led to a change and that the group
would suspend its activities because of the blatant interference of the
Iranianbacked Hezbollah in Syria.
It claimed that Hezbollah, Iran and
Israel had a “strategic alliance in the region and common interests” and were
striving to thwart the Syrian revolution. The Jews, it said, were fully
complicit with Western countries in trying to give Syrian president Bashar Assad
cover to fight the rebels.
According to the statement, Israel and the
West were giving Hezbollah a green light to fight in Syria so as to protect
Israel’s security by keeping the border quiet. But this will not bring security,
the statement declared, saying it would instead bring them closer to the fire of
The US government considers the Abdullah Azzam Brigades a
According to the US State Department website, the
organization was created in 2009 and is based both in Lebanon and in the Arabian
The group, led by Saleh al-Qarawi, is responsible for numerous
rocket attacks against Israel.