Australia: 230 suspected jihadis prevented from flying to Middle East in past month

Australian officials say that 86,000 people have been stopped for questioning at various airports around the country in efforts to stop nationals from joining terror groups.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
March 25, 2015 09:41
1 minute read.
Sydney

A view of the Sydney Opera House. (photo credit: Wikimedia Commons)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

In the past month, 230 people were prevented from leaving Australia out of fears of joining radical jihadi groups in the Middle East such as Islamic State, according to Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott.

In an address to parliament, Abbott said that security forces stopped 86,000 people for questioning at various airports around the country.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


According to Australia's ABC news, among those prevented from leaving the country was a 17-year-old boy who attempted to fly to Turkey from Sydney without his parents. He was removed from a flight after it was determined by counter-terrorism officers that he was planning to join Islamic State. His removal took place six days after two other teenage boys were stopped at the airport while trying to fly unaccompanied to the Middle East. 

"He was on his way to conflict in the Middle East and it comes off the back of two individuals —16 and 17-year-olds ... — who had been intercepted by CTU [Counter Terrorist Unit] officers just before that," said Australian Immigration Minister Peter Dutton.

The three boys were all released back to their parents while investigations are ongoing.

In December, three people were killed by Islamic State terrorists in Sydney, as well as reports of several Australian nationals leaving Australia to fight with terror groups in the Middle East.




Related Content

July 19, 2018
Sources close to Netanyahu: Trump knew the Iran nuclear deal was bad

By HERB KEINON, MICHAEL WILNER