Bahrain complains over Hezbollah comments on protests

After Nasrallah offers help to protesters in Bahrain, FM of Sunni-ruled Gulf kingdom says he will not tolerate threats from a terrorist group.

By REUTERS
March 25, 2011 13:09
2 minute read.
Sayyid Hassan Nasrallah

Nasrallah 311reuters. (photo credit: reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

MANAMA - Bahrain has made a formal complaint to the Lebanese government over Shi'ite Muslim Hezbollah's offer of support to mainly Shi'ite protesters demanding reforms in the Sunni-ruled Gulf Arab kingdom.

Bahraini Foreign Minister Sheikh Khaled bin Ahmed Al Khalifa said his country would not tolerate threats from what he termed a terrorist group and would consider lodging a complaint to "international sides" if Lebanon was not able to act.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Saudi deployment in Bahrain risks sectarian conflict
Gulf Regimes: The real game - Saudi Arabia

The warning highlights growing tensions in the world's largest oil-exporting region between Sunni-ruled Arab countries and non-Arab Shi'ite power Iran, just across Gulf waters.

Bahrain has withdrawn top diplomats from Iran in protest over criticism of last week's crackdown on demonstrations.

"We did not take this decision without consulting the Gulf Cooperation Council," Khalifa told Al Arabiya television, referring to a six-member Gulf Arab economic and political bloc.

"When it gets to a situation where there is a conspiracy, that does not just affect Bahrain but several countries."

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Bahrain has suspended flights to Lebanon and warned its nationals not to travel there after Hassan Nasrallah, leader of the Iranian-backed Hezbollah, criticized Arab states for backing Bahrain's rulers while supporting the rebels in Libya.

Click for full Jpost coverage of 
turmoil in the Middle East

Some Lebanese expatriates in Bahrain say they have not been allowed back into the country when returning from business trips or holidays. About 1,500 Lebanese live in Bahrain and the community has sought to distance itself from Nasrallah's speech.

In his televised speech, Nasrallah offered support to the protesters in Bahrain, but did not specify what kind of help.

"The terrorist threats we heard forced us to take this decision," he said. "There is training and organization and some of those arrested.... came from London via Beirut."

The comment apparently referred to Hassan Mushaimaa, leader of Bahraini opposition group Haq, who returned from exile in London on Feb. 26 via Beirut.

After arriving back in Bahrain, Mushaimaa escalated what had hitherto been calls for a constitutional monarchy to demand the overthrow of the ruling Al Khalifa family. Mushaimaa was arrested last week after Bahrain called in troops from fellow Sunni-ruled neighbors and drove protesters off the streets.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A demonstrator holds picture of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi during a protest in front of Saudi
October 16, 2018
Trump sends Pompeo to Riyadh over Khashoggi; Saudis may blame official

By REUTERS