Hezbollah rocket launcher 311 (R).
(photo credit: Reuters)
A large explosion rocked a Hezbollah stronghold in the city of Tyre on the
southern Lebanese coast late on Tuesday night, Beirut’s Daily Star newspaper
RELATED:'If Assad falls, Hezbollah will take Beirut'IDF continues to train for war with Hezbollah
The paper quoted local media as saying the explosion occurred
at a Hezbollah arms cache, and that no one was injured. A Lebanese security
source declined to confirm the media reports, saying the cause of the blast
could not be determined due to a Hezbollah closure of the area.
Wednesday, the former chief of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps said contingency
plans had been drawn up to deal with “possible scenarios” relating to the
Islamic Republic’s enemies.
“If they are sensible, they will not create
new tensions, but we, as military forces, are considering the worst scenarios,”
said Maj.-Gen. Yahya Rahim-Safavi, also a senior adviser to Supreme Leader Ali
Khamenei, according to the English-language Tehran Times.
said Israel was “within range of Katyusha rockets of our friends in Lebanon’s
Hezbollah... Our missiles can cover all the occupied Palestinian territories and
there is no point out of range and no limit on the number of our
Hezbollah denied media reports that Wednesday’s incident
occurred at one of its weapons caches. The claims are “not true at all,” it said
in a statement, according to the Now Lebanon website.
JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:
The Lebanese Army
said the explosion may have been caused by “a land mine or a cluster bomb” left
behind by Israel, the website reported.
Lebanese military officials said
the blast left “no visible traces.”
UN peacekeepers stationed in southern
Lebanon told the Daily Star
on Wednesday that they had heard about the explosion on the news.
“We have no information
at the moment. We are checking this report,” UNIFIL spokesman Andrea Tenenti
In July, a large explosion shook a Hezbollah building in a southern
Then, too, Hezbollah prevented Lebanese security forces
from investigating the blast.
At the time, the DPA news agency cited
various Lebanese newspapers as reporting that a small bomb or hand grenade could
have been the cause of the blast.
Earlier this month, Lebanese media
reported that an Israeli unmanned aerial vehicle, or drone, had gone missing
On Wednesday, Richard Silverstein, the American writer
behind the controversial blog Tikun Olam, wrote that the reportedly missing
drone had in fact been deliberately grounded by Israel.
Intelligence (Aman) has out foxed [sic] Hezbollah by deliberately crash-landing
a booby-trapped Trojan Horse drone in southern Lebanon,” he wrote, attributing
the information to an Israeli official with “considerable military
“For over a year, Hezbollah has been attempting to discover
how to jam the ground signals commanding the drone so as to disable them in
When it discovered the downed craft, its operatives must’ve
crowed that they’d finally discovered the key to success,” Silverstein
“This bit of hubris is how Aman drew Hezbollah into its net. Its
soldiers dutifully collected the imagined intelligence trophy and brought it to
a large weapons depot it controlled in the area. Once inside the arms cache,
Aman detonated the drone causing a massive explosion.”
Channel 10 News
reported that Silverstein has described himself as “the Israeli Julian Assange,”
after the Australian founder of WikiLeaks. Silverstein, a native New Yorker,
lives in Seattle.Jerusalem Post staff contributed to this report.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>