Egypt to re-try pro-Israel army critic on hunger strike

Michael Nabil, 25, is hunger striking to protest his conviction for remarks saying army tried to help quell anti-Mubarak protests.

By REUTERS
October 11, 2011 18:36
2 minute read.
Pro-Israel Egyptian blogger Sanad

MAIKEL NABIL SANAD. (photo credit: courtesty)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

CAIRO - An Egyptian military court accepted on Tuesday an appeal for a re-trial of a Coptic Christian blogger who was jailed on charges of spreading false information about the country's military in a case that drew criticism from rights groups around the world.

Michael Nabil, 25, began a hunger strike on Aug. 23 to protest against his conviction for posting remarks saying the army tried to help quell an uprising that unseated President Hosni Mubarak in Feb. 11.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Egypt in Flux: A young pacifist versus the Egyptian army
Health of jailed pro-Israel Egyptian blogger worsens

The court's decision follows weekend clashes between Coptic Christians and military police in which 25 people were killed in the worst violence since the fall of Mubarak.

Nabil's family told rights group Amnesty International last week that the activist's health had deteriorated and the authorities had prevented him from taking medication. They said he was suffering from renal problems, anaemia and scabies.

"With this decision ... Michael Nabil will be retried before a new panel," the military appeals court said.

Nabil, who was arrested at his home in Cairo in March, has served five months of his three-year sentence.



Activists and rights groups say Nabil's case highlights the army's heavy-handed approach against dissenters who criticize top generals for using tactics reminiscent of Mubarak's regime.

Nabil’s voice is a rarity in the Egyptian (and wider Arabic) blogosphere, in that it is consistently and enthusiastically supportive of Egypt’s neighbor Israel. His supporters have hinted that his pro-Israel postings - and not just his statements against the Egyptian military - are the primary reason the blogger is now behind bars.


Reporters Without Borders said it tried to visit Nabil but was not given permission. His family says Nabil has been drinking water only.

Activists have condemned the army's use of military courts to try thousands of civilians since Mubarak's overthrow. The courts sit behind closed doors and are known for handing down swift verdicts that are often seen as unfair.

Oren Kessler contributed to this report.

Related Content

Nadia Murad
August 19, 2018
Yazidi victims of ISIS fear for lives in Germany due to ISIS presence

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN