Flotilla aid refused by Hamas

Senior official: Israel's decision to release cargo is "Deception."

By
June 2, 2010 19:24
1 minute read.
'Haphazard' cargo is inspected at the Ashdod port.

flotilla aid 311. (photo credit: Ron Friedman)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Hamas refused on Wednesday to allow the aid equipment that was captured by the IDF aboard the flotilla ships earlier this week to enter the Gaza Strip.

"We refuse to receive the humanitarian aid until all those who were detained aboard the ships are released," said Ahmed Kurd, Minister for Social Welfare in the Hamas government said. "We also insist that the equipment be delivered in its entirety."

Kurd said that Israel's decision to allow a number of wheelchairs to be delivered to the Gaza Strip was a "deception," claiming that the batteries that operate them had been removed, making them useless.

The Hamas minister said that Israel's decision to send some of the aid that was seized aboard the ships to the Gaza Strip was designed to divert attention from the "massacre" that took place in the sea.

Calling for lifting the blockade on the Gaza Strip, Kurd welcomed Egypt's decision to reopen the Rafah border crossing. He expressed hope that the terminal would remain opened on a permanent basis.

Taher a-Nunu, spokesman for the Hamas government, said that the issue of the humanitarian aid would be resolved only through consultations with the organizers of the convoy in Turkey.


He stressed that Hamas's top priority now was to ensure the release of all those who were detained aboard the ships.

Egyptian authorities on Wednesday banned Hamas's Minister of Health, Basem Naim, from travelling through the Rafah terminal.

Naim was on his way from the Gaza Strip to attend a conference of the Arab Physicians Union in Algeria when the Egyptians turned him away.

The Egyptians did not offer any explanation for their decision to ban Naim from crossing the Rafah terminal, which was reopened after the confrontation between the IDF and international activists aboard the flotilla aid ships.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Muslim pilgrims circle the Kaaba and pray at the Grand mosque ahead of annual Haj pilgrimage in the
June 26, 2019
‘Honor killing’ more acceptable in Arab world than homosexuality - poll

By JNS.ORG

Cookie Settings