Soccer player's friend confesses to murder

Congo native Eritsia Akalsongo reenacts murder of 20-year-old Netanya woman Zehava Chikol for police detectives.

By
April 2, 2013 19:36
1 minute read.
Ambulance at site of woman's death in Netanya

Ambulance at site of woman's death in Netanya 370. (photo credit: A. Yaakov/News 24 )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

One of two suspects in the murder of a Netanya woman found outside a local hotel last week confessed and reenacted the crime for detectives on Tuesday, Sharon subdistrict police said.

The suspect, Congo native Eritsia Akalsongo, is a friend and the roommate of a foreign player for Maccabi Netanya FC, whose name has been banned from publication.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The two men are both in jail on suspicion of strangling 20-year-old Zehava Chikol, and throwing her body out an eighth story window of the city’s Carmel Hotel.

Both men were arrested last Wednesday night, and during their questioning, denied the charges, and later began to implicate one another, according to investigators.

As of Tuesday night, the soccer player has not confessed to the killing, and police said they are still investigating his involvement in the murder.

Police said that the first man’s confession is leading them to believe the motive was a dispute over money.

Both men will be brought to court for their second time on Wednesday afternoon, where police will seek an additional extension of their remand.



Initially, a judge ruled that the soccer player be released on house arrest so that he could play in a Saturday night game. The decision sparked a public outcry, and following an appeal by police the player’s remand was extended.

Related Content

July 19, 2018
Sources close to Netanyahu: Trump knew the Iran nuclear deal was bad

By HERB KEINON, MICHAEL WILNER