Human Rights Watch calls on Mideast states to ban cluster weapons

By
January 26, 2009 19:17

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Human Rights Watch says Middle East and North Africa governments should sign a new international treaty banning cluster weapons. In a statement released Monday, the rights group said that Lebanon and Tunisia are the only countries in the region that have signed the Convention on Cluster Munitions put forward in December. The statement added that cluster weapons have been used in several countries in the region including Lebanon, Iraq and Kuwait. A total of 94 countries signed the Convention on Cluster Munitions in Norway last month. Thirteen states from the region participated in meetings that led to the creation of the convention, but have not yet signed, the group added.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Navy march during a parade to commemorate the anniversary
September 23, 2018
Iran's Revolutionary Guards threaten to avenge military parade attack

By REUTERS