Italy nabs four suspected in ISIS plot to attack Israeli embassy, Vatican

The four arrested Thursday include a man and wife living near Lake Como.

By JPOST.COM STAFF, REUTERS
April 28, 2016 20:51

Italian police arrest ISIS suspects

Italian police arrest ISIS suspects

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Italian police on Thursday arrested four people suspected of conspiring to carry out attacks on behalf of Islamic State in Italy.

The Israeli embassy in Rome and the Vatican were among the alleged targets, Newsweek cited Milan prosecutor Maurizio Romanelli as saying.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


“I want to hit Israel in Rome,” one suspect named as Abderrahim Moutahrrick was said to have told another suspect in an intercepted conversation, according to the report.

Investigators believe one of the suspects asked another to plan an attack in Italy and mentioned Rome.

As part of the same investigation, police also issued arrest warrants for two fugitives - a Moroccan man and his Italian wife who left Italy and headed towards Iraq and Syria last year.

The four arrested Thursday include a man and wife living near Lake Como -- a 23-year-old Moroccan man, and a female relative of the fugitive couple.

Italy has been spared deadly attacks by Islamist militant groups such those seen in France and Belgium. Authorities are nevertheless on high alert, carrying out regular arrests of people suspected to have ties to Islamic State.


Related Content

July 19, 2018
Sources close to Netanyahu: Trump knew the Iran nuclear deal was bad

By HERB KEINON, MICHAEL WILNER