US-backed forces launch new attacks on Islamic State in Syria

A new phase of the offensive was launched in Syria on Thursday, targeting the terror group that still has a firm stronghold on the city of Raqqa.

By REUTERS
April 13, 2017 12:21
1 minute read.
French Jet Fighters Prepare to Attack ISIS in Syria

French Jet Fighters Prepare to Attack ISIS in Syria. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BEIRUT- US-backed forces fighting Islamic State in Syria launched a new phase of their offensive on Thursday, a statement said, but they have not yet begun to attack the militant group's stronghold of Raqqa city in an apparent delay in the operation.

The multi-phased campaign by the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), an alliance made up of Syrian Kurdish and Arab fighting groups, was launched in November and aims ultimately to drive the jihadists from Raqqa, their de facto Syrian capital.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Officials in the Kurdish YPG militia, a powerful component of the SDF, said last month that assaults on Raqqa city itself would start in early or mid-April.

But the fourth phase of the campaign aims to clear Islamic State pockets from the countryside north of the city, the SDF statement said. It did not say when the assault on Raqqa itself would begin.
Aftermath of suspected chemical gas attack in Idlib , Syria on April 4, 2017 (REUTERS)

"We aim to liberate dozens of villages in the Wadi Jallab area and the northern countryside ... and clear the last obstacles in front of us to pave the way for the operation to liberate Raqqa city," it said.

The SDF have closed in on Raqqa from the north, east and west.

They have surrounded the Islamic State-held Tabqa area and its adjacent dam, some 40 km (25 miles) to the west of Raqqa, which is the focus of heavy fighting and where Islamic State has launched a number of counter-attacks.



Officials have said that the assault on Raqqa could be launched even before Tabqa itself is seized, but the battles there have kept the SDF busy.

"The dam issue has taken some time," Jihan Sheikh Ahmed, the SDF spokeswoman for the Raqqa campaign, told Reuters.

Forces were taking care to avoid damage to the dam, she added, which the UN had warned in February could cause catastrophic flooding because of the fighting.

Ahmed said the SDF were making simultaneous advances on the front lines around Raqqa, Tabqa and Deir al-Zor, another IS stronghold further southeast.

Related Content

August 15, 2018
Iran Supreme Leader admits mistake regarding nuclear talks

By REUTERS