ISIS claims credit for Cairo courthouse bomb which wounded 29

"Let the apostates of the police and army, the followers of Jews, know we are a people who do not forget our revenge," the statement said.

By REUTERS
August 20, 2015 11:46
2 minute read.

ISIS claims credit for Cairo courthouse bomb

ISIS claims credit for Cairo courthouse bomb

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Islamic State's Egypt affiliate said it was behind a car bombing that wounded 29 people near a state security building and courthouse in a Cairo suburb early on Thursday.

A statement circulated on Twitter by supporters of the group, Sinai Province, said the bomb was a reprisal for the execution of six of its members convicted of carrying out an attack north of the Egyptian capital last year.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


"Let the apostates of the police and army, the followers of Jews, know we are a people who do not forget our revenge," the statement said.

In May, Egypt executed six members of Sinai Province for attacking soldiers near Cairo in 2014. The men were convicted on charges which included carrying out an attack in which two army officers were killed in Arab Sharkas village north of Cairo.

Sinai Province has killed hundreds of soldiers and police since the military toppled President Mohamed Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood in 2013 after mass protests against his rule.

Security sources who inspected the site of the blast in Shubra al-Khaima near Cairo said there was a burned-out vehicle and crater.

Comments on Twitter indicated the blast, which heavily damaged the face of the state security building, was heard in several parts of the Egyptian capital.



Shopkeeper Mohamed Ali said he saw a man park a vehicle that exploded after he stepped away from it.

Militants based in Sinai who support Islamic State, which controls parts of Iraq and Syria and has a presence in Egypt's neighbor Libya, have proven resilient despite military operations against them.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has vowed to eradicate militancy, which he has said is an existential threat to the Arab world and the West.

Stabilizing Egypt is critical to efforts to rebuild an economy hurt by turmoil since the 2011 uprising that toppled Hosni Mubarak.

Egyptian authorities have mounted the toughest security crackdown against militants in the country's history, drawing criticism from human rights groups who accuse the government of stifling dissent.

This month Sisi approved an anti-terrorism law that sets up special courts and protects its enforcers in the face of a two-year-long Islamist insurgency that aims to topple his government.

The law has come under fire from human rights groups that accuse Sisi of rolling back freedoms won in the 2011 uprising.

Related Content

August 20, 2018
Bolton: U.S.'s highest priority is Iran never getting nuclear capabilities

By HERB KEINON