A Marine salutes the American flag during a wreath laying ceremony at the Marine Corps War Memorial in Washington.
(photo credit: UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS)
An ad hoc group of retired US military officers is urging Congress to reject the Iran nuclear agreement.
According to The Washington Post, almost 200 former commanders signed a letter saying that the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action undermines American interests and threatens national security.
The missive is a response to a letter sent last week by a few dozen generals and admirals who expressed support for the agreement.
“The agreement will enable Iran to become far more dangerous, render the Mideast still more unstable and introduce new threats to American interests as well as our allies,” the latest letter reads.
Iran deal in a nutshell
The opponents of the Iran deal served in both Republican and Democratic administrations and they completed their military service in each branch of the US military.
The letter was first drafted and circulated by Leon A. "Bud" Edney, a retired admiral.
The lobbying is most likely going to grow even more intense as lawmakers ponder their vote on Sept. 17. That's when Congress will weigh a resolution of disapproval of the agreement. While a majority will likely oppose the deal, the only issue now is whether there are enough naysayers to override what is sure to be a veto by President Barack Obama.
One of the letter's signatories, Thomas McInerney, is a retired air force lieutenant general who was vice commander of US Air Forces in Europe.
McInerney told The Washington Post that he considers the agreement "the most dangerous nuclear accord in US history."
“What I don’t like about this is, the number one leading radical Islamic group in the world is the Iranians,” he said. “They are purveyors of radical Islam throughout the region and throughout the world. And we are going to enable them to get nuclear weapons. Why would we do that?”