Iraqi military sues to shut newspaper, TV station in Baghdad

By
April 13, 2009 14:12

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Iraq's military has filed a lawsuit seeking to shut down the Baghdad operations of a major Arab newspaper and television station, alleging they falsely reported that orders had been issued to arrest ex-detainees recently released by the US, an official said Monday. Al-Hayat newspaper and Al-Sharqiya reported last week, quoting Iraq's military spokesman, that the names and photos of the released detainees had been distributed to checkpoints with orders to arrest them as part of an investigation into recent bombings in Baghdad. Military spokesman Maj. Gen. Qassim al-Moussawi said Monday that the two falsely quoted him, and the military filed a lawsuit last week to close their Baghdad operations. He said he told the TV station and the newspaper that authorities were going over the files of those recently released to see if they had rejoined armed groups - but denied that he said authorities planned to arrest them.

Related Content

Mike Pompeo
August 18, 2018
Can Pompeo’s Iran Action Group deliver what Trump promised?

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN