Lebanese civilians hurt 14 UNIFIL troops

Residents prevent soldiers from inspecting alleged arms cache; UNIFIL: Incident a violation of 1701.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
July 18, 2009 00:56
2 minute read.
Lebanese civilians hurt 14 UNIFIL troops

nasrallah 248.88. (photo credit: Courtesy)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Villagers in southern Lebanon on Saturday prevented UN peacekeepers from searching an abandoned building near a suspected Hizbullah weapons depot that exploded last week, a Lebanese security official said. The official said dozens of men in Bir e-Salasel surrounded UNIFIL vehicles on Saturday and ordered the peacekeepers to leave. Fourteen UNIFIL men were wounded when some 100 locals attacked them, Israel Radio reported. When the troops called for backup, the villagers fired at the reinforcements. The village is close to Khirbat a-Silm, the site of Tuesday's explosion in an abandoned building about 15 km. from Israel. UN peacekeepers had no immediate comment on the incident in the Nabatiya governate, and Hizbullah has remained silent since the explosion. On Friday, UNIFIL boosted its forces along the Israeli border, hours after 15 Lebanese civilians carrying Lebanese and Hizbullah flags crossed into Israel. The group, which included several children, entered Israel in an area where there is no border fence, and returned to Lebanon after several minutes. IDF soldiers spotted the group, and seeing it was unarmed, decided not to take action. Nonetheless, the army stressed that the incident was a violation of Security Council Resolution 1701, which ended the Second Lebanon War. "Any individual who crosses the border must consider the possibility of getting hurt," the IDF said in a statement. Earlier Friday, Hizbullah chief Hassan Nasrallah accused Israel of being "a racist state." In a televised speech, he said Israel had been "placed at the heart" of the Middle East, and decried its "respect from the whole world." "The whole world expresses its understanding of [Israel's] brutality, and its killing of thousands," he went on. "The G-8, the UN Security Council and the entire world express their understanding" for what he called Israeli abuses. Meanwhile, Kuwaiti's A-Siyassa newspaper reported on Saturday that last week's explosion killed a number of Hizbullah gunmen at a secret military outpost, and did not destroy a hidden weapons cache as was initially believed. "The geographical layout of the area where the outpost was situated, as well as its relative proximity to the border proves that it could not be an arms depot, but rather an outpost on the front lines," a military source defined as "credible" told the paper. On Wednesday, the army released video footage taken from an IAF aircraft, showing a home that was destroyed in Tuesday's blast in Khirbat a-Silm. The roof has dozens of holes, which IDF ballistic experts said were the size of 122-mm. Katyusha rockets. However, the Kuwaiti paper said the weapons that exploded in the area included short-range anti-tank missiles, and anti-tank mines. It did not mention longer range rockets.•

Related Content

August 15, 2018
Iran Supreme Leader admits mistake regarding nuclear talks

By REUTERS