Lebanese minister says 'Hezbollah does not fight with orders from government'

The current situation in Qalamoun has pitted multiple extremist organizations against one another in a bloody conflagration.

By
June 1, 2015 14:05
1 minute read.
Hezbollah Nasralla

Lebanon's Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasralla.. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Lebanese Social Affairs Minister Rashid Derbas said Monday that the Shi'ite terrorist organization Hezbollah "makes decisions without referring to the government," and added that “Hezbollah does not fight with orders from the government.”

Derbas was referring to a recent offensive conducted by Hezbollah in the Qalamoun region of northwestern Lebanon against Syrian-based ISIS and Nusra Front jihadis in the border town of Arsal which has pitted different extremist organizations against one another in a bloody conflagration, leading to a debate within the Lebanese government on what their role should be.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Derbas was quoted by Lebanon's Daily Star as saying that the battle taking place against militant factions was not worth risking the lives of soldiers.

"“The Army has formed a barrier between militants and Arsal and the [Syrian] refugees,” he noted, adding “Not a single casualty occurred in [Lebanon] during the [Qalamoun] battles because the Army was constantly monitoring the militants’ movements.”

Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah and his allies in the Free Patriotic Movement have demanded previously that the Army should be granted a free hand to oust ISIS and Nusra Front militants from Arsal’s fringes, according to The Daily Star.

Yet, former prime minister Saad Hariri and The Future Movement,  which is aligned regionally with Saudi Arabia against the Iran-Hezbollah-Syria axis, has warned Hezbollah against carrying out any operations near Arsal, saying that protection of the town is the responsibility of the Lebanese state and Army, The Daily Star added.

A cabinet meeting set for Monday plans to address the security situation in Arsal and possible ways to deescalate the fighting.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


United Nations human rights investigators have said since December of 2012 Hezbollah has been involved in the Syrian civil war, fighting on behalf of the Bashar Assad regime.


Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

November 14, 2018
Car plant shows limits to Iran's economic ambitions in Syria

By REUTERS