Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak 311 AP.
(photo credit: AP / Egypt TV)
Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak on Thursday said that he wants to resign but feels he has a responsibility from letting his country "slide into chaos." Mubarak's comments came in an interview with ABC's Christiane Amanpour.
RELATED:Pro-Mubarak rioters hurl Molotov cocktails at opposition4 Israeli journalists arrested, then released in CairoAnalysis: The Muslim Brothers' deceptive pragmatism
"I am fed up. After 62 years in public service I have had enough. I want to go," Mubarak told Amanpour.
On calls for him to resign, Mubarak said "I don't care what people say about me. Right now I care about my country."
The Egyptian president responded to calls from his US counterpart Barack
Obama that he step down saying, "you don't understand the Egyptian
culture and what would happen if I step down now."
He warned that the Muslim Brotherhood would take power in Egypt if he were to resign now.
On violence that erupted between pro and anti-Mubarak protesters on
Wednesday, the Egyptian president said, "“I was very unhappy about
yesterday. I do not want to see Egyptians fighting each other.”
Earlier on Thursday, Egyptian Vice President Omar Suleiman said that the
Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt’s most organized opposition movement, has been
invited to meet with the new government as part of a national dialogue
with all parties.
Suleiman said the "conspiracy" behind the
assault of the protesters will be investigated. He expressed his
surprise that the protests have not stopped.
He said he will release non-violent
youths detained during protests, Reuters reported.
Suleiman added that violent protesters in Tahrir Square will be punished.
Thursday, Egyptian state television quoted Suleiman as saying that
Mubarak's son will not seek to succeed his father in elections later
this year, in the the latest concession to anti-government protesters.
It was widely believed that Mubarak was grooming his son Gamal, 46, to succeed him despite significant public opposition.
related news, the Egyptian attorney-general on Thursday issued a travel
ban and froze the bank accounts of several former ministers that are
being investigated, Egyptian state television reported.
the ministers is reportedly former interior minister Habib el-Adly who
is being investigated for pulling police out of Tahrir Square last week.
With police absent from the area, there was looting in Cairo.