Pentagon rejects reports of US drone strike on Syria-Iraq border

Spokesman for US DoD says there is "not truth to rumors in media" of American attack on area controlled by ISIS-led militants.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
June 24, 2014 18:35
1 minute read.
US Navy RQ-4 Global Hawk drone [file photo]

US Navy RQ-4 Global Hawk drone 370 (R). (photo credit: Reuters / Handout)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby rejected on Tuesday reports that the US had carried out a drone strike targeting hardline Islamist militants on the Iraq-Syria border.

BBC Arabic reported earlier on Tuesday that unmanned American aircraft had bombed the area of al-Qaim, which was overrun over the weekend by Sunni fighters led by the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Kirby said there was "no truth to rumors in media" of such reports.

The BBC report, citing sources close to Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, emerged as US Secretary of State John Kerry held crisis talks with leaders of Iraq's autonomous Kurdish region on Tuesday urging them to stand with Baghdad in the face of a Sunni insurgent onslaught that threatens to dismember the country.

US President Barack Obama has held off granting a request for air strikes from Iraq's Shi'ite-led government but last Thursday offered up to 300 Americans to help contain a lightning offensive by Sunni insurgents, amid an unfolding humanitarian crisis with hundreds of thousands displaced.

Speaking after a meeting with his national security team, Obama said he was prepared to take "targeted" military action later if deemed necessary, thus delaying but still keeping open the prospect of airstrikes to fend off a militant insurgency. But he insisted that US troops would not return to combat in Iraq.

Obama also delivered a stern message to al-Maliki on the need to take urgent steps to heal Iraq's sectarian rift, something US officials say the Shi'ite leader has failed to do and which the al-Qaida splinter group ISIS, leading the Sunni revolt, has exploited.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Obama, who withdrew US troops from Iraq at the end of 2011, said the United States would increase support for Iraq's beleaguered security forces. But he stopped short of acceding to Baghdad's request for the immediate use of US air power against Islamist insurgents who have overrun northern Iraq.

Reuters contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A missile from the S-300 anti-aircraft system during the International Army Games in Russia
September 18, 2018
ANALYSIS: What Russia’s Latakia condemnation means for Israel

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN