Philippines says more than 2,200 citizens in Kuwait want to go home

The Philippines suspended sending workers to Kuwait in January after reports that abuse by employers had driven several to suicide.

By REUTERS
February 11, 2018 16:58
1 minute read.
Philippines says more than 2,200 citizens in Kuwait want to go home

A woman fills an application form for a job posting in Kuwait during a job fair at the Philippine Overseas Employment Agency in Manila in this September 20, 2010 file photo.. (photo credit: REUTERS/CHERYL RAVELO/FILES)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

MANILA - More than 2,200 Filipinos are ready to take up President Rodrigo Duterte's offer to repatriate workers from Kuwait due to reports of abuse, the Philippine labor minister said on Sunday.

Duterte asked Philippine Airlines and Cebu Pacific on Friday to provide flights for Filipinos who want to leave Kuwait, after a the body of a Filipino worker was found in a freezer of an abandoned apartment.

"We have been informed that as of Friday there were 2,200-plus Filipinos who are willing to go home," Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III told Reuters, adding that some of them had overstayed their visas and applied for an amnesty.

The airlines have arranged free charter flights, and Bello said almost 500 Filipino workers were due to arrive soon.

The Philippines suspended sending workers to Kuwait in January after reports that abuse by employers had driven several to suicide. Duterte said on Friday that that suspension would remain indefinitely.

Kuwait's Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled al-Jarallah expressed "surprise and sorrow" at Duterte's remarks in January, saying that legal proceedings had been taken in the cases of the four suicide cases mentioned by the president.


More than 250,000 Filipinos work in Kuwait, the Philippine foreign ministry estimates, most as domestic helpers. There are also large numbers in the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

The government would help repatriated workers look for jobs, Bello said.

"We are into a re-integration program, we have a program in place for them," he told the ANC news channel. "They will be given a livelihood."

"We are now in the process of looking for alternative markets. One of them is China and even Russia," he said, without elaborating.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

LGBT flag
May 26, 2019
Why is Iran’s PressTV labeling LGBT lessons 'immoral' in U.K.?

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN