Pro-Assad commander: Syrian army ready for southern battle

The United States warned on Saturday it would take "firm and appropriate measures" in response to any violations of the ceasefire in that area.

By REUTERS
May 29, 2018 20:02
2 minute read.
Pro-Assad commander: Syrian army ready for southern battle

Soldiers loyal to Syria's President Bashar al-Assad forces are deployed at al-Qadam area near Yarmouk Palestinian camp in Damascus,Syria April 29,2018. (photo credit: OMAR SANADIKI/REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BEIRUT - The Syrian army has completed preparations for an imminent offensive against rebel-held areas in southwestern Syria, a non-Syrian commander in a military alliance that backs Damascus said on Tuesday, raising the prospect of a major new escalation.

However, a rebel commander in the Deraa region of the southwest told Reuters there was no sign of mobilization for such an assault and accused Damascus of waging psychological warfare. Nevertheless, rebels had prepared defenses, he said.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The rebel-held southwest has come into focus after the Syrian government, backed militarily by Iran and Russia, crushed the last besieged rebel enclaves near Damascus and north of the city of Homs. Damascus has vowed to recover the whole country.

The southwest is of concern to the United States, which last year brokered a "de-escalation" deal with Jordan and President Bashar al-Assad's Russian allies, which has largely contained the war near the frontier with Israel.

The United States warned on Saturday it would take "firm and appropriate measures" in response to any violations of the ceasefire in that area.

While Assad is military unassailable in the Syrian conflict, swathes of territory at the frontiers with Iraq, Turkey and Jordan and Israel remain outside his control. The role of outside powers in these areas complicates further gains by Damascus.

The pro-Assad commander, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the Syrian army's preparations for the assault were complete. "The Syrian army will wage all the battles and has now become strong and capable," the commander said.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Israel wants Iran-backed forces removed from areas near its frontier - and from Syria in general. Iran-backed Shi'ite militias, often spearheaded by Lebanon's Hezbollah, have played a critical role fighting in support of Assad.

Russia said on Monday that only Syrian army troops should be at the southern border with Jordan and Israel. On Tuesday, its foreign ministry said Russia, the United States and Jordan had agreed to meet about the "de-escalation" zone, RIA news agency reported.

"PSYCHOLOGICAL WAR"

An article published in the pro-Damascus al-Watan newspaper said signs "on the horizon" indicated the southern battle was near as "final touches" were put in place.

But the rebel commander, Colonel Nassim Abu Arra of the Youth of Sunna Forces, told Reuters there was no sign of an imminent attack.

"So far there are no indications of that. I am speaking from a position on the frontlines," he said in a telephone interview. "But there are rumors, a psychological war," he said.

In the last week, he said several military convoys had left government-held parts of Deraa city heading north, saying he believed these to be Iran-backed forces being evacuated from the region. They had not been replaced, he added.

His faction was keeping the United States and Jordan abreast of the situation on the ground. "We are taking from them reassurances that the southern region is subjected to the de-escalation agreement and ceasefire," he said.

But his fighters had still prepared defenses. "I assure you the opposition forces have taken a number of measures ... including digging trenches and tunnels to prevent the regime from launching any attack," he said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

November 12, 2018
Can Saudi Arabia compete as Iran flexes its economic muscles in Iraq?

By REUTERS