Report: Canada to bar entry to single male refugees from Syria

Sources tell CBC move taken to deal with security concerns.

By JPOST.COM STAFF, REUTERS
November 23, 2015 18:20
REFUGEES WALK along train tracks leading from Serbia into Hungary on Friday

REFUGEES WALK along train tracks leading from Serbia into Hungary on Friday. (photo credit: SETH J. FRANTZMAN)

Canada will limit refugees accepted into the country to women, children and families only, according to a CBC report. 

Sources told the Canadian news network that "to deal with some ongoing concerns around security, unaccompanied men seeking asylum will not be part of the program."

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


According to the report, in the last six weeks alone, Canadian authorities have managed to screen about 100 people a day in Lebanon and the Canadian government has been silent about the security screening it is doing

Canada was set to release details this week concerning its pledge to take in 25,000 refugees from Syria by the end of the year, Immigration Minister John McCallum said on Friday.

The promise became a significant component of the new Liberal government's election campaign, but since the attacks in Paris last week, questions have been raised as to whether the government will be able to bring that number of refugees to Canada quickly and safely.




Related Content

Russian President Vladimir Putin (R) and his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron attend a signing cer
May 25, 2018
Putin welcomes European efforts to save Iran nuclear deal

By REUTERS