Egyptian soldiers keep guard in Sinai 370.
(photo credit: REUTERS)
Egyptian authorities have arrested seven people in connection with a suicide
bomb attack on a police station north of Cairo that killed 16 and wounded more
than 130 last month.
“Seven of the accused have been arrested, most
prominent is Yehya Almongi Saad al-Huseini who is the son of a Muslim
Brotherhood leader,” Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim told a news
Ibrahim accused Hamas of cooperating with the Brotherhood to
provide logistical support to the Sinai-based jihadist group Ansar Bayt
al-Maqdis that claimed responsibility for the December 24 attack in
The army-backed government listed the Brotherhood as a
terrorist organization after the attack.
Ibrahim also accused the Muslim
Brotherhood of receiving military training from Hamas in the Gaza
He accused Hamas of involvement in various attacks in Egypt in
recent months, without giving details.
Hamas, founded in 1987, is an
offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood.
A spokesman from Hamas, Sami Abu
Zuhri, denied the accusations and called it an “attempt to mislead the Egyptian
public and export the internal Egyptian crisis.”
international organization of the Brotherhood and Hamas plan to carry out
attacks and bombings against churches in northern Sinai during Orthodox
Christmas celebrations on Tuesday, the Egyptian daily Al-Youm
senior security sources as saying.
They plan to use suicide car bombers
from the military wing of Hamas, Izzadin Kassam, as well as plant bombs in the
walls of churches and monasteries, the sources said.
Members of the
Brotherhood and Hamas prepared tons of TNT explosives in the Gaza Strip to be
used against the churches, the security sources told the
Churches have increased their security measures in preparation
for the holiday, El-Watan
Ibrahim said that security
forces would not allow the Brotherhood to disrupt the constitutional referendum
scheduled to take place on January 14 and 15.
Also on Thursday, police
said they had intercepted marches by Brotherhood supporters meant to disrupt New
Year celebrations, arresting and dispersing the participants, Egypt’s State
Information Service quoted the Interior Ministry as saying.